Updated list of acceptable documents
Key government updates
The list of acceptable documents has been amended.

  • A Certificate of Application (either digital or non-digital) indicating an individual has applied for leave to enter/remain under the EU Settlement Scheme (“EUSS”) on or after 1 July 2021, together with a Positive Right to Rent Notice (PRRN) from the Landlord Checking Service (LCS)
  • An application for leave to enter or remain under Appendix EU to the Isle of Man Immigration Rules and the removal of reference to applications submitted on or before 30 June 2021

  • Documents issued by the Home Office to a family member of an EEA or Swiss citizen, which indicated that the holder had permission to stay in the United Kingdom
  • Biometric Immigration Documents issued by the Home Office
  • Frontier worker permits issued under Regulation 8 of the Citizens’ Rights (Frontier Workers) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020
Changes to how to prove a right to rent in England
Those who hold a:

  • Biometric Residence Card;
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRC/BRPs); or
  • Frontier Worker Permit (FWPs)
will only be able to provide evidence of their right to rent using the Home Office online service. As part of this, landlords cannot physically request the above cards, they are no longer listed as acceptable documents.

Retrospective checks will not be required on biometric card holders who, before 6 April 2022, used their physical card to demonstrate their right to rent. Landlords will maintain a statutory excuse against any civil penalty if the initial checks were undertaken in accordance with the relevant guidance that applied when the check was made.
Extension to temporary Covid right to rent Checks
During the Covid Pandemic, right to rent checks were temporally adjusted from 30 March 2020 to allow landlords to carry out checks online, via video call and through scanned copies of documents. These temporary measures have been further extended until 30 September 2022.
What changes have been made to right to rent following the events in Ukraine?
Annex I of the report sets out government plans to introduce visa schemes to support Ukrainian nationals and their families coming to the UK. Under these plans, those granted a visa will be able to work, rent a home and access public services such as education, while residing in the UK. These schemes are designed to make it easier for Ukrainian nationals and their immediate families to enter and reside in the UK.
Ukraine Family Scheme
The Scheme allows immediate and extended family members of British Nationals and those settled in the UK to travel and reside in the UK. Under this Scheme, applicants must:

  • apply to join or accompany their UK-based family member;
  • be Ukrainian or the immediate family member of a Ukrainian national who is applying to the Scheme; and
  • must have been residing in Ukraine on or immediately before 1 January 2022.
Homes for Ukrainians Scheme
This scheme allows individuals to house Ukrainian nationals and their immediate family members rent free.
Those in the UK that can offer housing must have at least 6 months leave to remain and with suitable accommodation can apply to the scheme.  Anyone who has a successful application through the scheme will be permitted to reside in the UK for 6 months. To extend this period to three years, individuals will need to submit their biometrics before the 6-month period ends in order to obtain a Biometric Residence Card.
Right to Rent checks
Individuals with a valid passport
At present, there is no confirmation that right to rent checks will need to be carried out. A Ukrainian national with a valid Ukrainian passport can apply to either Scheme without needing to attend an overseas VISA Application Centre (“VAC”) to submit biometrics.
Those with permission to reside in the UK have a time-limited right to rent over a 12-month period. These endorsements are now included as acceptable documents for a manual check.
When an individual’s permission to stay is coming to an end, landlords will need to carry out a follow-up check of those who have time-limited right to rent in England. All Ukrainian nationals under the Schemes should have a BRP granting them up to 3 years leave. Those with a BRP will need to prove the right to rent via the Home Office online checking service.
Individuals without a valid passport
If an individual does not have a valid Ukrainian passport, they will be required to provide biometric information at a VAC. They will then be provided and will then be provided with an entry clearance vignette attached to a ‘Form for Affixing the Visa’ (“FAV”).
Once a BRP has been collected, this can be used to prove a right to rent through the Home Office online checking service. Individuals can also use a FAV as proof of the right to rent.